Ex-Spice Girl Mel C said she will no longer participate in a planned New Year’s Eve show in Poland after being made aware of issues “that do not align with the communities I support.”

The singer, known best as “Sporty Spice,” but whose real name is Melanie Chisholm, shared the update in her New Year’s plans, which had received backlash from the LGBTQ+ community.

“In light of some issues that have been brought to my attention, that do not align with the communities I support, I’m afraid I will no longer be able to perform in Poland as planned on New Year’s Eve,” she wrote on Twitter.

The Spice Girl added: “I hope to be back there very soon. Hope you’re all having a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for 2023.”

She did not provide specifics on why she dropped out of the televised concert for the Polish state broadcaster Telewizja Polska (TVP), but the move was praised by the LGBTQ+ community.

The broadcaster had been accused inr recent years of feeling propaganda against the LGBTQ+ community.

Twitter users were also quick to applaud Mel C for her allyship, with many chiming in to call her a “hero.”

Mel C
The famous ex-Spice Girl said she had to pull out of the New Year’s Eve performance due to issues that do not align with the communities she supports.
Getty Images

Chrisholm, 48, has been viewed as a steadfast supporter of LGBTQ+ rights, winning the celebrity ally prize at the British LGBTQ Awards in 2021 as well as earning the title of “Honorary Gay” at Attitude magazine’s awards this year.

While homosexuality has been legal in Poland since 1932, same-sex marriage and civil unions are not recognized and it is illegal for same-sex couples to adopt children.

In a statement, TVP said that Chrisholm dropped out of the performance “under the pressure of online comments.”

Mel C
Chrisholm has been viewed as a steadfast supporter of LGBTQ+ rights.
Samir Hussein/WireImage
Mel C
The singer, of Spice Girls fame, shared the news that her performance was canceled on Twitter Monday.
picture alliance via Getty Image

“Melanie C is one of the many stars of this year’s ‘New Year’s Eve Dreams with Dwójka’, who accepted the invitation and signed a contract with Telewizja Polska and will celebrate the new year with us, and today – under the pressure of online comments – she unexpectedly resigned from the performance,” the state broadcaster said.

“The company was surprised to hear about the artist’s change of plans. TVP reminds that New Year’s Eve is a concert for everyone who wants to welcome the new year with good fun.”





Source link

Author

Comments are closed.