To Change Address on your official documents like a driver’s license, health card, vehicle permit, etc., becomes crucial at times. Consider cases where you might need to move temporarily or permanently for one or more reasons. At such times, changing the address is of utmost importance. Also, updating the official documents requires an update of your address. This is so that your current address is always visible on the license.
To keep your vehicle safe and get the best deals on vehicle insurance, try getting quotes through a reputable insurance brokerage that puts policyholders first, like the reliable team at Surex.
How to change address on driver’s license in Canada
If you’re currently asking yourself, “can I change my address on my driver’s license?” you’ve come to the right place!
It is imperative to know that an update of your address on the driver’s license means an update of your address on your health card as well. Though this might sound complex, the process is actually quite straightforward. There are a few basic steps that you need to follow to complete the process. Remember to enter into an affordable insurance policy that provides great vehicle safety.
Let us take a look at the different scenarios so that you get a clear picture of what the process entails-
Changing the address on your health card.
There are two ways to proceed with the address change – online or by visiting a service center in person. The following steps will guide you along the process.
● The first step includes checking whether your old address is printed on the health card. In all probability, your address will be printed. However, if not, you can apply for an address update online. Online address update is relatively simpler and does not require much effort.
● If your address is printed on the health card, you will have to visit a service center to update your new address. You can visit the nearest service center to update the address as quickly as possible.
● Once you reach the service center, you must produce a few documents and update your new address.
List of things required for address update on your health card
The list of things required for the process of updating your new address on your health card includes:
● The postal code for the address you last reported to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
● New residential address in full, along with the mailing address. This means you must put in all the details of your new address, including the floor number, apartment or house number, etc.
● Image of sample photo health card showing health card number and version code
● Image of sample red and white health card showing the 9-digit health card number and version code
Change address on driver’s license Ontario in-person or online
The change of address on your driver’s license is a process similar to that of your health card. Thus, there are two ways of proceeding with the change- online and in-person visits to a service centre.
● Online change of your address on the driver’s license requires you to first change the address on your health card either earlier or simultaneously.
● As mentioned earlier, if an online change of health card address is not possible, a visit to the service center will get the job done. There, you can simultaneously change the addresses of both your driver’s license and your health card.
● However, if an online change of address is possible on your health card, you can simply apply for a simultaneous change in address on your driver’s license.
● Just like your health card, you need to produce certain documents in order to complete the process of address update.
List of things required for address update on your driver’s license
The list of things needed for the process of updating your new address on your driver’s license include-
● Your driver’s license or your vehicle permit
● Your new and complete residential and mailing address
● Image of sample driver’s license showing driver’s license number and date of issue of your driver’s license
● Image of sample vehicle permit showing the registrant identification number (RIN) Vehicle Permit
When will you receive the updated driver’s license?
It is essential to keep in mind that the address update will be applicable to not only your driver’s license but also to your vehicle registration. You can expect the new driver’s license along with the updated address through mail within 4-6 weeks. However, this is only applicable when your driver’s license is not due to be renewed soon.
However, the vehicle permit needs to be picked up in person from a service center. The updated driver’s license and original vehicle permit need to be produced at the time of collection. If you forget to produce your original vehicle permit, you might have to pay a replacement fee, after which you will receive a new vehicle permit. Keep in mind to get an insurance policy for the safety of your vehicle.
Important things to know when you change your address on driver’s’ license
To ensure the smooth update of your new address on your official documents, the government sets a deadline. This deadline needs to be met at all costs unless impossible. The deadline for updating your new address in your driver’s license and vehicle permit is within ten days of changing your address.
However, the deadline for updating your new address on your health card is usually a month. It is important to change the address on your vehicle insurance policy as well to avoid any discrepancies that might occur in the future.
Change or update of address on your driver’s license is usually free of cost. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care or the Ministry of Transportation changes your address for free online or offline.
However, a new vehicle permit will require a replacement cost in case you forget to take the original vehicle permit during the address change or if you want a new vehicle permit. As mentioned above, a few simple steps will help you update your new address on the driver’s license as soon as possible to meet the government deadline.