Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer was overheard telling fellow lawmakers this week that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is “in trouble” and Democrats will likely lose the House in November’s midterm elections, according to a new report.
Schumer (D-NY), 71, made the admission during a private dinner Monday night with six other Democratic senators at Trattoria Alberto, an Italian restaurant on Capitol Hill, Punchbowl News reported.
The Brooklyn Democrat is said to have told his colleagues that if the election were held now, there was “a 60% chance we hold the Senate and a 40% chance we hold the House.”
The other senators dining with Schumer were Chris Coons and Tom Carper of Delaware, Mark Kelly of Arizona, Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, John Hickenlooper of Colorado and Dick Durbin of Illinois.
Schumer was speaking loudly and his conversation was overheard by other diners, multiple sources told Punchbowl News.
Schumer reportedly held forth on a series of other topics, including that House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) “sucks up” to former President Donald Trump, who Schumer thinks will run for president again in 2024.
The New Yorker also said during Monday’s dinner that he didn’t think Democrat Mike Franken, a former Navy vice admiral, would be able to beat Iowa GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley.
Reps for Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Schumer didn’t immediately respond to The Post.
The dinner revelations come after reports emerged that Schumer was transferring $15 million from his own campaign account to help his fellow Democrats in Senate races across the country ahead of the Nov. 8 election.
A source told the Associated Press that Schumer was doling out $5 million to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and distributing much of the remaining $10 million among nine candidates — four incumbent Democratic senators and five Democratic challengers in battleground states.
Schumer is expected to return as majority leader if Democrats keep the Senate this fall.
Meanwhile, Fox Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo reported earlier this month that Pelosi wants President Biden to nominate her to be ambassador to Italy if the GOP regains control of the House this fall.
Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill later dismissed the report as “utter nonsense.”
Comments are closed.