An American Airlines flight was forced to make an urgent return to Miami International Airport on Wednesday night after a passenger’s carry-on bag caused a worrying chemical odor.

Just before 9 p.m. local time, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue units were dispatched to the airport after an “issue” onboard the aircraft traveling to Barbados.

The flight “returned to MIA this evening due to a chemical odor in the cabin caused by the contents of a customer’s carry-on luggage,” an American Airlines spokesperson told The Post.

The aircraft is seen parked in the penalty box after the flight had to make a return back to Miami International Airport on Oct, 12, 2022.
The aircraft is seen parked in the penalty box after the flight had to make a return back to Miami International Airport on Oct, 12, 2022.
CBS Miami

“The aircraft landed safely and without incident, and customers deplaned normally.”

“All customers were offered hotel accommodations and the flight is now scheduled to redepart tomorrow at 9 a.m.,” the statement concluded.

The airline did not confirm how many passengers were abroad the aircraft.

Once American Airlines Flight 338 landed, it was taken to the penalty box — an area where aircraft can park safely without blocking taxiways. Passengers were immediately asked to leave the plane.

Some passengers said they were feeling sick as a result of the odor, and had to be taken to the hospital, CBS reports. The airline declined to comment on this.

The Post has reached out to Miami International Airport and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department for comment.

Last month, a United Airlines jet was forced to make an emergency nighttime landing in Newark after circling over the Atlantic to burn fuel.

Video footage posted by the site shows a stream of sparks flying as the plane, which was carrying 256 passengers, gains altitude.

The Boeing 777-200 spewed the sparks as it “entered a holding pattern about 70 (nautical miles) southwest of New York and returned to land safely” 88 minutes later.



Source link

Author

Comments are closed.